Monday, August 3, 2009

IEM TMC Contest

I’ve always wanted to attend the IEM Toastmaster meeting, highly driven by the fact that two of the members (Ismail Omar, Nik Zaki) are close friends whom have always been supporting me as the Area Governor and the compelling need to return the favor, and most importantly, my background as Engineer (though not registered) has somewhat been the driver for me to ‘return to the root’.

So on Thursday, I decided to finally set the GPS to Bangunan Ingenieur (its French for Engineer) in PJ. Took me a whole 63 mintes trying to secure the building which is located above the big Pizza Hut on Jalan Timur, but hey, being me, getting somewhat lost is nothing new. So, I kept humming to the Westlife CD I had on the player while listening to the GPS repeatedly telling me that I am already here when I made the full circle of nowhere (oh, the building was a bit covered la.. Not my fault). Grr…
When I arrived, the Organising Chair Robert Ram and the Contest Chair, Intan were already there to welcome guests. I am lucky to get to know these 2 from the Area P4 Installation the other day, cause over the past few weeks, they have been a great toastmaster buddy and friend in need :D.

The line up for the contest were as follows:
3R Speakers – Ridzwan, Robert, R Ken
Evaluation Speakers – Ridzwan, Ismail Omar, Robert

Interestingly, the 3 Humor Speakers had the 3-R factor since their names started with R. Pretty much a big coincidence there (or planted :p).

Ken who has only been with the club for 1 month is only doing his second speech, but he did well. He managed to crack some very good jokes which I thought was both original and humorous. Ridzwan, who talked from his past experience was spontaneous and funny just being himself. The eventual winner, Robert was the confident type and he delivered his speech elaborately which worked well with his content.

For evaluation, the club’s President, Ismail Omar took the stage filling in the third empty seat though he has not recovered well from illness. That’s the toastmaster spirit there Mr President. In the end, Robert was again crowned as the champion for the speech evaluation contest.

In the end, I made a number of new acquaintances, and reconnect with old friends. Got plenty of exercise from big laugh big jokes as well.

Looking forward to see these guys advance to the next level.

Till then. Suhana Sidik @ http://toastmistrez.blogspot.com



Chief Judge


TM Intan Masayu with their Area Governor, TM Suresh


Ken with his cert for 1st Runner Up (bring Barbie next time yeah. hehe)


Robert - the proud winner of BOTH the Humor Speech AND Speech Evaluation Contest

No comments:

Post a Comment